Monday, January 11, 2010

01.11 - Frozen Pizza Hearts Me

So a few months ago a writer for the RedEye, a free daily paper put out by the Chicago Tribune, randomly contacted me on a food review site. She noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews, particularly on Chicago's delicious pizza (ha), and wanted to know if I ate a lot of frozen pizza. Despite my initial embarassment, I told her that I did, in fact, partake in the occasional frozen pizza (especially recently).

Fast forward two months. Her article on frozen pizza came out this past Saturday, and the first sentence starts with my name. While I'd normally be excited at being mentioned in a cover story food article, I'm not as excited at being depicted as the penny saving, pure Chicago pizza betraying, frozen pizza lover. Haha. Oh well. I'm not gonna lie-- when I want cheesy, comforting pizza and I can't afford the fancy pizzas of the city, humble but tasty ol' DiGiorno or Tombstone does the trick. ;)

Here's a look at (and a short excerpt from) the article:


4 comments:

jksweetz said...

haha..ji, that's pretty awesome~ ur famous! i wanna read the whole article! and it totally doesn't depict you the way that you said it did. that's pretty cool that she found ur blog tho~ did u watch julie&Julia???

journaler said...

awesome!

im not going to lie either, i freaking love tombstone pizzas, and it's unfortunate that we have to be embarrassed about confessing this. haha.

they are so freaking unhealthy.

clara yoon said...

this does remind me of julie and julia! a bit haha

never heard of tombstone pizzas, i should buy some when i come to chicago

ji said...

Haha. Hey, Joan! "Famous" isn't so great when 98% of the people who read the article probably mispronounced my name. ;) Haha. Oh well. And yeah, I saw Julie & Julia. It was so cute. And I kinda felt connected to the both of them-- the eater and the blogger. :} Hope you're doing well!

Hey, Rich. :) I was reading a message board in response to the article, and apparently there's a cheap, local frozen pizza called Doreen's that's supposedly out of this world. They're not sold at the bigger grocery stores, but they're at the smaller ones like Strack & Van Til and such. Here's a list: http://www.doreenspizza.com/where-to-buy.htm#grocery. We must both try it and compare notes. ;)

Hi, darling Clara! :) Tombstone is probably not as special as Rich and I are making it out to be (haha), and I'm sure there's a Tombstone alternative in Canada-- but if you're in town, you definitely have to try the myriad of deep dishes (and possibly this pizza from Doreen's-- but we'll let you know). It was so great to see you and Sarah, by the way. :)