Monday, August 3, 2009

08.03 - It Has Begun (Again)

My brother looked at me the other day, paused for a bit, then said, "Dude, you're fat. And your arms are big." *sigh*


Yes, he and I generally like to insult each other and, yes, there have been many times when I've more than happily pointed out his weight gain, so this comment really shouldn't have bothered me. But, for some reason, I've recently started noticing extra chubbiness in my cheeks and extra sway in my arm flab . . . sooo yeaaaah. I am now on a mission! I must eat better and start going to the gym again!

So as I've done in the past when such a problem has arised, I am beginning the tried-and-true South Beach diet again. I hate this diet for the two-week Phase 1 (total elimination of carbs and sugars, including fruit!) but I love this diet because it's less about a quick fix and more about training yourself to eat "good" carbs and "good" fats with low glycemic index values. But yeah. Phase 1 stinks. It's unnatural to eliminate all carbs and sugar from your diet, but the purpose of this phase is to rid yourself of starch and sugar cravings, to stabilize your blood sugar, and pretty much to see immediate weight loss results. So once you make it through those two weeks, Phase 2 lets you reincorporate good carbs, low-sugar fruits, and other yummy things so I guess it's not too bad.

So yeah. I tried to make the most of my weekend before beginning these next two weeks of sheer torture and crankiness. :\


A's avocado-mango salad (yum!) courtesy of a Cook's Illustrated (woohoo) given by R

My "final" meal last night (I didn't take this picture, but it looked exactly like it...mmm)

1 comment:

hannah love said...

AHHHHHHH how are you gonna do it?!?!?

i am with you... in spirit hahah
im also KIND of changinig my eating habits, but its hard when you live with another family that isn't your own. but i try to exercises everyday. plus i walk everywhere here... no car :(