Wednesday, May 21, 2008

05.19 to 05.21 - Stupid Piece of FISH!!!

The last few days have been fairly low-key with a minimal amount of indulging. There was a massive cheeseburger on Monday, but that was really about it. So anyway--last night, I went out to eat with one of my oldest friends and we decided to check out this neighborhood seafood joint. She settled for the tried-and-true tilapia, and I decided to be a bit more daring and have the "escolar" (a.k.a. Hawaiian butterfish). It tasted weirdly minerally, but it was still pretty good-- especially when I slathered some butter on top (in honor of its name). It was a decent-sized portion and, although I was already full, I didn't want to waste food so I ended up finishing the whole thing.

Anyway . . . sorry to be graphic . . . but, this morning, I had a fierce case of chocolate waterfalls. I immediately thought about the fish from last night but it had tasted well-cooked and not spoiled, so I wasn't sure what it could have been. Still, I decided to do some research on our dear escolar this morning. *cringing*

On Wikipedia's entry for escolar, there is a special section for "effects of consumption." *crazy look* You can imagine my DISGUST when I read the following points:
  • gastrointestinal symptoms . . . include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil
  • discharge can stain clothing and occurs without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming fish
  • oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements
  • symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days
And, what's worse is that they suggest limiting consumption of escolar to less than 6 ounces, yet my piece filled half the plate. *sigh, shaking my head* Stupid fish place that serves stupid fish. Never again, escolar. Never again.


It only looks harmless . . .

FATTIE RATING: 4 (pre-waterfalls), 3 (post-waterfalls)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Most awesomest post ever!!!!