Tuesday, July 21, 2009

07.21 - Chicken-off-the-Bone Kinda Girl

I just had a sick craving for some rotisserie chicken. The kind that's flavorful and juicy and sorta falls off the bone. There's luckily a decent place nearby that I go to when such cravings arise. So anyway, now I'm here at my desk, cutting into my delicious chicken with a plastic knife and fork, chomping away as quietly and discreetly as possible . . . and the question suddenly comes to mind: to eat the cartilage or not?

Growing up, my brother and I pretty much learned our eating habits from our parents, which meant not wasting food and eating our chicken as thoroughly as possible (yes, that meant skin and cartilage were included). Eating every bit of the chicken till you get a completely clean bone is so rewarding. It's like you've done the chicken justice! :} But I've known many who find chicken-off-the-bone eating a bit disturbing. So how proper is it for me to be chompin' on chicken cartilage at work? I mean, it's bad enough that the delicious aroma is permeating the cubicle walls as my coworkers are trying to do their business. How much worse that my coworkers will be able to hear me crunching on something that can really only be the chicken's joint cartilage? Doesn't that go against in-office eating etiquette?

Anyway, contemplating and writing took too much time. Ha. I ended up just going for only some of the cartilage-- the softer pieces so I could crunch away quietly and not seem like a complete barbarian. *triumphant smile* Mmm, chicken off the bone is quite yummy.

3 comments:

jksweetz said...

cute :) just eat it...good source of calcium for ya ;) have u ever had the korean soup where there's basically an entire chicken in it? hehe. this winter, we'll have to go~

jksweetz said...

well...more like a cornish hen~

hannah love said...

good calcium eh... nice

anyways, this is why i love going out for wings. i love to eat chicken and whatever right off the bones.
this is why i also love galbi