Tuesday, July 1, 2008

06.25 to 07.01 - Wash, Wash, Wash

So my friend was recently infected by a bout of the stomach flu (a.k.a. norovirus). It’s pretty much a worse form of diarrhea, because it usually also comes with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy, aches, fever, and even dehydration if you don't replenish the fluids and electrolytes you lose. Apparently, the virus is found in the stool or vomit of infected people, and it spreads easily from person to person. People become infected by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then touching their mouths or eating food/drinking liquids contaminated by infected food handlers. Awareness of norovirus has grown mainly due to its prevalence on cruise ships.

What I don't get is why food handlers would even have norovirus on their hands. The only way is if they were contaminated themselves and didn't wash their hands after pooing or throwing up-- or they didn't wash their hands after touching bathroom surfaces that potentially had contaminated poo or throw-up-- or they touched some random surface or object that they thought was clean and didn't bother washing their hands. Whichever way it is, the presence of poo or throw-up remnants is involved. I know washing hands tends to be tedious . . . but blech.

Needless to say, I've been quite paranoid lately. I've been washing my hands longer than usual and under water several degrees hotter than normal. I don't want nasty bodily waste or any virus that might have come from it anywhere near my food or mouth, thank you very much. Blech.


This is a great ad. It really makes me want to eat out...

FATTIE RATING: 4

No comments: