Tuesday, August 12, 2008

08.12 - Strong Smells

I remember one time many years ago when I went to eat at a diner with my friend and my cousin. My cousin ordered a turkey sandwich and, upon receiving it, seemed unhappy with her decision. "What's wrong with it?" I asked. She said it tasted too much like turkey. I didn't really understand what she meant. My friend then put the plate up to her nose, wrinkled her nose in distaste, and said, "Eww. It smells like turkey." I laughed at how ridiculous they sounded. "Isn't turkey supposed to taste and smell like turkey!?" I asked. Despite my amusement, my cousin ended up ordering something else to replace her sandwich.

It's been over five years, I think, since that happened. Five years of thinking they were being picky and ridiculous. Well, this morning, I ordered a scoop of scrambled eggs and one sausage patty from the restaurant downstairs. As I was biting into the sausage patty, I was overwhelmed . . . by the strong smell of pork. I tried to ignore it by holding my breath but ended up just being overwhelmed by the strong taste of pork in my mouth. I have to say, a light bulb lit up in my head as I tossed the sausage into the garbage. Ugh. Porky pork sausage is gross. And I'm sure turkeyish turkey is equally gross. I should have understood. *shaking my head* I have an aversion to fishy fish. Ha.

No comments: