Thursday, August 21, 2008

08.21 - For Love of Grandmas

Polish grandmas, like most grandmas, have this weird desire to stuff as much food as possible into the young. This was especially the case last night. A friend and I decided to check out this Polish restaurant by my house. We ordered one dinner plate to share along with some soups and different salads. There was so much rich food that we started going into food coma less than halfway through the meal. Our sweet elderly Polish lady server (who I assume is a grandma) kept coming by to see how we were doing—at times smiling at us, at other times yelling at us. Ha, go figure. When my friend and I were absolutely stuffed, she came over and said, “You are not done yet. Keep eating.” We looked at her in desperation, saying, “No, we can’t eat anymore. We’re stuffed and falling asleep!” She shook her head and said, “You sleep then and keep eating after,” and then she turned her back on us and walked away.

I looked at my friend in horrified realization. “She’s never going to let us leave, is she!?” We both laughed at the situation and ended up trading plates in an attempt to eat some more. We soon came to the conclusion that we couldn’t fit anything else into our protruding bellies. I started feeling trapped and needed to get us out of there, so I rummaged through my purse and found a rolled-up plastic bag. I immediately opened it up and started shoveling the contents of our plates into the bag. My friend was dying with laughter, which unfortunately brought the lady back out to check on us. I almost got caught as I very slyly twisted the bag closed and threw it back into my purse. The lady walked over and surveyed our table, finally saying, “Okay. That is better. You are finished now.” We both breathed a sigh of relief as she took our dishes and finally brought over the check.

*shaking my head, laughing* Oh, grandmas. You just gotta love them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Teresa's. Grandma actually cooks all the meals fresh when you order. I am shocked that you mentioned she "forced" you to keep eating. Too funny, but none of us ever experienced She's always happily give us a doggie bag, but I guess you had your own. :)
I hope the visit was worth it, though.

Kim Ruelo said...

Oh man ate jing, I've been missing out on your stories! Good job, lying to a kind, old, innocent gramma! ;)