Wednesday, August 27, 2008

08.23 to 08.27 - I Ron Shmy Ron

I found out I was anemic a long time ago. I was going to donate blood in high school-- but when they pricked my finger and dropped the blood into clear liquid, it didn't fall to the bottom like it was supposed to. Honestly, I felt relieved because the thought of a needle drawing blood from me made me queasy. So I went to the doctor shortly after and he pretty much just told me to take iron pills. So I did for a bit, and then I got lazy and stopped, and then I'd feel tired or lightheaded again so I'd start again, and then after awhile I'd stop . . . and that's pretty much been my regimen for years.

Nowadays, I have no idea if I'm still anemic-- but whenever I feel really tired or weak, I automatically start craving a steak or a cheeseburger. And every now and then, I'll pop an iron pill. This morning, I felt like I had just run a marathon and I couldn't move or open my eyes for anything. My coworker at work has anemia too and she has this mysterious green elixir called S.S.S. tonic, so I chugged a bit of it as soon as I got in. Now, I'm trying to plan my lunch accordingly. Steak may be a bit much for lunch . . . so I'm thinking either a burger or some meatloaf. Huge plus side to having struggling red blood cells or unnaturally heavy blood loss: getting to eat yummy foods. Ha.

No comments: