Wednesday, February 25, 2009

02.25 - Give Up, Give Back

I grew up Catholic and was taught to give up something for Lent every year. But after I fulfilled my Catholic Saturday school requirements, I pretty much dropped the practice and only did it around my dad to make him happy. :\ In recent years, though, I've picked up the ritual again . . . but only when I make the sincere effort to struggle and to think about the meaning behind it.

So . . . this year, I'm going to give up meat again (everyday and not just on Fridays, like last year). It was unbelievably hard to do last year, but when Easter finally came around, it was good to know I was able to get over myself for that period of time. And if you know me, you know meat is very nearly my best friend. ;) Anyway, I debated on also giving up cheese this year, but I honestly think I would have an emotional breakdown because so many vegetarian options involve cheese. *dorky smile* Still, in addition to fasting, I want to do something more than I did last year. Luckily, my dear friend HLY gave me this great idea to practically spend time with God daily (something I often forget to do :\). It's sad that it sometimes seems easier for me to take away something I love than to give my time to something I love . . . but I look forward to the days ahead.

No comments: