Friday, May 1, 2009

05.01 - Earth

I used to have an old blog back in the day—and I wrote this classic post about one of my fave coworkers, a 45-year old woman from Guyana who is both the sweetest and most random woman I’ve ever known. I think this post was from April of ’07:

So there's this sweet lady at work who, one day, stuck a spoon into the soil of her desk plant and brought it up to her nose. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "I like the smell of earth." I told her that I did too-- that I also liked the smell of paper and pencil lead, and that I even used to put them in my mouth. I told her that I had read somewhere that women with anemia get weird cravings-- called pica (an abnormal appetite or craving for substances that are not fit to eat, as chalk or clay, common in malnutrition, pregnancy, etc.). I told her that was probably why we both liked the smell of dirt, and she thought that was so interesting.

At that time, I didn't realize that she likes to smell "earth" daily. Yeeaahh. Almost every afternoon, she'll walk over to her potted plant, shove a spoon into the soil, and then bring it up to her nose. And, almost every afternoon, some random person will walk by and see her doing it. *sigh* That person will look at her all bewildered, and each time, she smiles and says, "I like to smell earth. Ji does too! We both like to smell earth!" And then that person will look at me with even greater bewilderment as I try my best to hide my face behind the computer monitor.

Now, it has become a daily ritual. She'll smell the soil from her potted plant, and then she'll come over to smell the soil from my potted plant (because, apparently, "[my] earth smells better"). And, I have no other choice but to smile, pick up the plant, bring it up to my nose, and have my share of earth as well. *laugh, shaking my head*


So, fast forward two years later—and she’s still an avid earth fan. Me? Not so much. Maybe I’m finally complete in the nutrient department. Anyway, this is the conversation we had about a half hour ago:

C: (calls over cubicle wall) Ji?
Me: Yeah?
C: (extremely serious voice) I have to ask you a question.
Me: Sure. What’s up?
C: There are two plants by the garbage can near the printers. Tony says they’re going to throw them away.
Me: Okay…
C: Should I go and get the earth?
Me: Umm…
C: I already went over there and the earth smelled real good.
Me: (laughing to myself) Well, if you like it then...umm, you should...
C: Yeah… (thinking hard) I don’t know…
Me: (laughing as I imagine her scooping soil into paper cups to keep at her desk)

Haha . . . I hope this isn't a glimpse into my future. ;)

4 comments:

wes said...

i actually prefer the smell of people who just walked into a room from spending a good amount of time outside in the strong wind

M said...

definitely a glimpse into ur future. an old lady smelling dirt and fertilizer...mmmmmm...so good. that lady sounds quirky. i like her. save the dirt, please.

i wonder what ur other "classic posts" were about. why'd u get rid of that blog?

hannah love said...

heheheh such a cute woman! so don't worry!

i like blog entries like this :)

ji said...

Wes, haha, I agree. It's weird though because my godkids have a certain smell after playing outside on a warm, windy day...and it's both good and bad. :\

Hannah, I'm glad you think so. She's probably one of the most amusing older women I've ever known. She's also "the giving coworker" (if you search that). :)

Hey, M. Haha. She did end up saving the dirt. And she smuggled it into the lunchroom and distributed it among three potted plants in our breakroom so that whenever she eats lunch, the good-smelling earth will only be a few steps away. I, along with an extremely confused coworker, witnessed this and exchanged a few strange looks. Haha. About my old blog...I wrote about accidents or embarrassing moments I got into, food, people that interested me, and food. I got rid of it because my old blog name referenced fairies. Haha. No further comment.