Wednesday, November 12, 2008

11.11 - Questions for Reflections

A friend tagged me to fill out a very interesting and personal questionnaire, but . . . in keeping to the blog theme, I found a food questionnaire instead that I thought would be an adequate substitute. Enjoy-- and I'd love to hear some of your answers. ;)

1. Do you have any funny food stories?

I’m sure I have plenty—but the only one I can think of right now is the time I was in a goofy mood so I put two bubble tea straws (those big ones) together and then tried to suck the tapioca balls from my drink through both. Because I couldn’t close the gap between the two straws perfectly, air kept leaking out and I had to suck even harder. To make a long story short . . . three or four tapioca balls suddenly flew into my throat, I started choking and coughing, and everyone in the restaurant turned to look at the idiot who doesn’t know how to dine in public. Ha.

2. What is the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?
There’s this Filipino delicacy called balut that is pretty much a nearly-developed duck or chicken embryo that is boiled and eaten out of its shell. It is the most disturbing thing I’ve ever seen—and at the age of 9, I cried for hours because my parents and relatives were eating them. About a decade later, I was over at my Vietnamese friend’s house and found out that this disgusting excuse for food is a delicacy in other Southeast Asian countries as well . . . and his mom had cooked some that very day. Despite adamantly refusing to eat it, he chased me around the dining room table with a spoonful of duck embryo while his mother watched. I knew I was being disrespectful, so it took all my willpower to stop and open my mouth. He deposited the embryo bit into my mouth, we looked at each other for a few seconds, and I suddenly spit the sucker out and it hit him on the face. *embarrassed smile* Yeahhh . . . I guess I technically didn’t eat it, but it was close enough.

3. What is the most delicious thing you've ever eaten?
*laugh* There are too many. Pass.

4. What is your favorite song about food?
“Peaches” by Presidents of the United States of America. “Millions of peaches, peaches for me . . .”

5. What food do you refuse to try?
The aforementioned culinary abomination and . . . blood soup (from any culture). Bleccchh.

6. What do you like to eat when traveling?
Pirate Booty, if I can remember to get some. And gummy bears or sour gummy worms.

7. What type of food do you eat the most?
Cheese. Eggs. Pizza. Cheeseburgers. Fried chicken.

8. Do you have any recipes you can share with us?
#7 (a.k.a. the recipe for a heart attack)

3 comments:

Susan said...

i love this survey!

embryo and blood soup....i'm so curious what it looks like.

and yum. i love cheeseburgers with bleu cheese.

Susan said...

ps. how was your salted caramel recipe ? I want to try it out.

ji said...

No, I haven't tried the recipe yet. I'm too lazy and a part of me is afraid I won't be able to match up to Starbucks. But since you reminded me, I shall do it this weekend. :}

P.S. You can google "balut" and it'll give you all sorts of disturbing pictures. :\ Also, check out my newest post. Some of the things people eat really intrigue me. ;)