Thursday, November 20, 2008

11.20 - Switched Places

I thought girls were the sentimental ones. I might've been wrong.

I was out with my cousin’s boyfriend and a few others for dinner last night, and I thought it’d be nice if we had dessert since his birthday is today. So I ordered us a slice of the NY-style cheesecake topped with berries. When the cake arrived, it looked absolutely gorgeous and delectable. I had my fork ready to attack but was stopped when my one guy cousin asked, “Where’s the candle??” And almost at the same time, my brother exclaimed, “You forgot the candle!”

Wait, what?! Haha. I purposely didn’t ask for the candle. My cousin’s boyfriend is a boy (obviously) and he’s older and I really didn’t think he’d care. Honestly, I thought having to blow out birthday candles and having people sing to you in a public place were two things a boy dreaded the most. I thought I was being understanding-- by giving him his cake and letting him eat it too (sans a candle and singing). But, apparently, the other boys at the table didn't seem to think so. So I walked over to the kitchen, asked for a candle, held it in my hand while a lady lit it, carefully brought it over to the table, and stuck it into the cheesecake. With just this one glowing piece of decorated wax, all became right with the world. At least for the boys. Frankly, I could've done without the candle. My world was right when they set a cheddar, blue cheese, and bacon burger in front of me (and later that cheesecake). Go figure. ;)

1 comment:

wes said...

wow... i must find one of those tonight