Friday, November 21, 2008

11.21 - Krrrrrrazy for Kimchi

So I had kimchi in the refrigerator at home and, although it was in a plastic bag and that bag was in a tupperware, the smell still permeated the refrigerator. It didn’t bother me so much, but I didn’t quite consider how the others in my household would feel about it. When I got home from dinner last night, I went to the refrigerator to find out that my kimchi had been thrown out by the parents. I was so shocked that I guess you can say I sort of threw a tantrum. Ha.

Me: *incredulously* You threw out my kimchi!?!?
Mom: It was old.
Me: What do you mean it was old? That’s how it’s supposed to be!!
Mom: But it smelled.
Me: It’s supposed to smell!!
Mom: Well, we didn’t know.
Me: Why didn’t you ask me first before throwing it out?! (stalks past them to my room and closes the door loudly)
Dad: I can get it from the garbage! It’s just outside.
Me: (shouting from inside my room) No! I don’t want it from the garbage!


A little bit later, I was still in my room and overheard the parents talking to each other in their Filipino dialect.

Mom: I told you to ask her first.
Dad: You told me it was old!
Mom: I guess it's supposed to smell like that.
Dad: That’s what makes it good.
Mom: I told you not to throw it out.
Dad: Should I go get it? It’s still in the plastic.

Haha. And then my mom wrote me this e-mail earlier today:
Hello [daughter], I was not gonna talk to you because you were acting crazy last night, but I asked your daddy to toss your hot hot salad or something cuz he said it smelled in the fridge. Oh well, if you really really like that salad, your daddy can always get you more.
Hahahahaha. Oh man. After my initial outburst, I immediately got over it but they apparently thought I was still harboring bad feelings and that their daughter is insane. *cracking up* Classic . . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is where your brother gets his outbursts from. :)

wes said...

hahaha...they felt so bad they wrote u an email

Susan said...

this is hilarious... i remember my friend and i stashed kimchi in another friend's fridge, and some of my roommates howled when they opened the door. "something's rotting in here!" haha.