Tuesday, December 23, 2008

12.23 - The Generic Product

I'm generally not a generic brand shopper. I'm used to my Dove and Breyers and Pillsbury and McCormick and Halls and Kleenex and Land O'Lakes and . . . you get the idea. But I'm also drawn to sales-- and, usually, grocery stores are good at putting the brand-name items on sale. Last night, though, I went to the store to get some chewy chocolate chip cookies and the Chips Ahoy brand wasn't on sale. It was over $4 for one package when it's generally on sale for two for $5. These days, I really hate spending unnecessary money-- and I couldn't bring myself to spend nearly an extra two bucks on the Chips Ahoy.

Every now and then, I'll buy a generic brand (of cotton swabs or pocket tissue or ibuprofen or hand sanitizer or even butter)-- and even though they are never as good as the real thing, they usually get the job done. So I put my faith in the generic brand called "Treasure Chips" which happened to be on sale for two for $5. I brought them home to several hungry individuals and looked forward to enjoying some sweet, chewy goodness. All I have to say is . . . ewwww. Seriously. Worst generic product EVER. First, they weren't chewy-- they were like cardboard and became powdery when bitten into. Second, the sweetness was sooo artificial and overpowering. And third . . . I don't know-- I don't even have a third, but they were just soooo BAD. I was so appalled by how bad that I wrote a complaint to the grocery store company this morning. Ha. From now on, I'll just stick to inedible generics. Stupid Treasure Chips . . .

No comments: