Monday, October 6, 2008

10.03 to 10.06 - Salt and Sugar

What makes some people crave salty foods while others crave sweets? I found some interesting reasons off a random website:

Salt CravingsThere are several different reasons why you may be craving salt. The first one is that over the years your body and your taste buds have been accustomed to a lot of salt. Craving salty foods can also be a symptom of adrenal exhaustion, especially in people who live fast-paced, stressful lives.You could also be craving salt because your body needs the additional minerals found in natural salt. These minerals have been filtered out of our regular table salt. In this case eating salty food will only satisfy your craving temporarily until your body realizes it is still missing the extra minerals.

Sugar Cravings
Consuming sugar temporarily elevates the levels of certain neurotransmitters (or "feel-good" chemicals) in our bodies. We also tend to eat sugary treats for a quick rush of energy to get us through the day. Of course we also enjoy the sweet taste of sugar. Eating sweet treats like a candy bar or a cookie unconsciously brings back simpler more enjoyable days of our childhood. Grabbing a sugary treat is a common stress response for many adults (since it's a behavior most of us were taught as children-- e.g. having milk and cookies after a long day at school).

I think I crave salt 60% of the time and sugar 40% of the time. Actually, if I ever have too much of one, it's almost always necessary for me to get a bit of the other. My boss's boss thinks that balance is the secret to my "diet." Whenever we have celebrations that involve a lot of sugary foods, she immediately attributes the presence of salty foods to me. Now, it's a given to have something salty at all work parties. Yup. I started the trend. I promote high blood pressure. ;)

No comments: