Wednesday, October 15, 2008

10.14 to 10.15 - I Am Meat Eater, Hear Me Roar

How gross is it that I had nearly 8-10 ounces of steak yesterday and now I'm craving more?





You know what else is gross? Eating a really thick cut of steak that's been cooked more than medium. It almost becomes torture to eat it that way. Growing up, I was afraid of red (as in the color at time of consumption) meat and I would never get anything under well-done. It took years of acclimation to get to medium-well then to medium and finally to medium-rare. And, honestly, I'll even eat rare if I'm feeling particularly carnivorous . . . although I probably wouldn't have the heart to order it on my own (ha).

It's interesting because whole cuts of beef are actually bacteria-free unless they've been contaminated externally by dirty surfaces or utensils. So when the outside is cooked at the right temperature (I think it's like 160 degrees), the outer bacteria is killed and the inside remains safe to eat and bacteria-free. Seriously, if you aren't squeamish about the redness, then medium-rare is the best middle-of-the-road way to eat steak. It's got a nice distribution of the medium and the rare to give you the best of both worlds.

And what flavorful, juicy worlds they are. Mmmmm . . . I want meat.

No comments: