Thursday, October 16, 2008

10.16 - For Love of Strange Combos

I am thoroughly intrigued by strange combinations in food. If I see something strange on a menu that includes at least one ingredient I like, I'll most likely want to try it. This was definitely the case for lunch today. I was at a local eatery with my downtown area buddies and I got all excited when I read "apple and cheese omelet" on the menu. I've heard of fruit and cheese together as an hors d'oeuvre or light snack, of course, but never of the two snuggled up in a hot omelet together. A little strange, don't you think?

So I ordered it. And it wasn't quite what I expected. The apples were cooked, sugary, and on top-- while the cheddar cheese was safely tucked inside the omelet. A little disappointing, but still pretty good. I ended up alternating my omelet bites with my apple bites and that proved to be quite yummy.






Finding strange combinations is fun. Other strange ones off the top of my head are:

- cheese bits in vanilla ice cream (I had a taster spoon of this, and it was interesting)
- cole slaw and chili as a hot dog topping (I have a friend who swears by this)
- peanut butter bacon sandwich (hmm)

- cereal with orange juice (I think every kid has found out how horrible this is-- haha)
- pickles and peanut butter (eww)
- pretzels dipped in coke/pepsi (doesn't sound too bad)
- ramen with cheese (I heard this one today and am quite intrigued...)

No comments: