Thursday, September 4, 2008

09.04 - The Singles Lunch Spot

Lunch has been harder for me to figure out these days, as one can tell from my last post. As a single person, going to the nearest Thai, Indian, Japanese, or Mexican place for lunch is not an option. Why? Because it's just awkward. Sitting there with a big piece of tandoori chicken or a big bowl of udon is just not as rewarding when you're occupying only one side of a table meant for two. People end up looking at you, and they start forming dramatic stories in their heads about why this poor girl is sitting in a nice eating establishment all by her lonesome.

So what's a girl to do other than roam aimlessly through city streets or sit in a quiet office lunchroom with gossipy middle-aged women? Well, today, I did roam around aimlessly . . . but, suddenly, like a giant lightbulb turning on in my head, I stepped into a Dunkin Donuts. "Do you still serve breakfast sandwiches?" I asked tentatively. The man shook his head-- but as I began to turn around to leave, he laughed and said they did. So I ordered a breakfast favorite: a sausage supreme omelet on a blueberry bagel. And upon receiving my beloved sandwich (which cost less than $4), I proceeded to sit there . . . all by my lonesome, biting into a yummy breakfast sandwich, and feeling completely comfortable about it all.

I've found that other fast food restaurants are pretty accomodating for singles as well, but Dunkin Donuts has officially become my ultimate spot. Not only does DD offer worry-free singles seating, but they still serve breakfast at 2:30 in the afternoon. You just can't beat that. ;)

 

No comments: