Sunday, September 14, 2008

09.13 to 09.14 - "Best"s

Food is good. There is lots of it. And a lot of it is good. So what does it take to say something is "the best" of something? I'm not sure exactly. I guess it just happens when you least expect it-- and when it does, it truly is a momentous occasion.

This weekend, we went out for my cousin's birthday. We had all eaten dinner already, but we headed to this popular, festive nuevo latino eatery for some drinks and dessert. Looking at the menu, we started feeling tempted by the savory dishes . . . and, eventually, a ropa vieja appetizer was ordered.

Ropa vieja is a popular dish, particularly in Cuba. In Spanish, it means "old clothes." Over time, I've had a lot of ropa vieja-- and it's all been quite good and surprisingly comforting. But this particular appetizer was, I have to say, pretty darn outstanding. I quietly watched several people at our table try it, and all their reactions were the same: eyes suddenly closed as the food hit their taste buds and they experienced a moment of bliss.

Haha. Each and every person. I personally made it a point not to outwardly follow suit, but I was smiling really big on the inside.

Ropa vieja + plantains + queso fresco + spicy mayo + who-knows-what-else =
the best darn ropa vieja ever (hands down!)


No comments: