Wednesday, September 3, 2008

08.30 to 09.03 - Lunch Constants

I'm not sure if you all remember my lunch buddy S, but he stopped working here sometime in June in order to pursue a big-shot, full-time law school existence. Before leaving, he made sure to emphasize to me that "we are not friends outside of work." I used to share at least one meal a week (and at most three meals a week) with him, so I just figured he was being characteristically mean to me. I've come to realize though that I might have been mistaken. I no longer see him anymore, let alone share even a whiff from the same eating establishments.

S was my lunch constant. Nowadays, my lunch constant is the all-too-familiar beige lunch room and a tried-and-true styrofoam cup of dehydrated sodium-laced noodles floating around in hot water. The latter will always remain the same, readily available when I have a dollar to spare, consistently tasty and satisfying. And as much as I miss the cold, biting personality of my former counterpart . . . a warm, flavorful cup of noodles is a welcome substitute.

No comments: